...This Agenda is a plan of action for people, planet and prosperity... We are resolved to free the human race from the tyranny of poverty and want and to heal and secure our planet…

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

From polls to court – cooling waters after an election!

My third trip to Nairobi – the place of cool waters – may not have been so fascinating, except the excitement to acquire knowledge and skills in multimedia reporting from the Thomson Media Foundation.
 
As matter of fact, the exceptional moments of a Science Safari in Kenya’s South Rift with my Maasai brethren in 2009 have yet to get its match. http://kadafricana.blogspot.com/2009/10/journey-to-kenyas-south-rift-valley.html

But I arrived at interesting times in the politics of Kenya – the inauguration of the fourth and youngest President in the political history of the East African Nation and significantly the reign of the son to the country’s revered first President, Jomo Kenyatta.

Uhuru Kenyatta and his Deputy, William Ruto – the pair tagged as UHURUTO by local media – took office after the Supreme Court of Kenya swiftly dealt with an election petition by the main opposition leader, Raila Odinga, who contested election rigging. The Court asserted that the election was free and fair, paving way for Uhuru to become the new President of Kenya!

Kenyans welcomed the new leadership with joy and pride in their new found democracy, especially after the bloody experience of the country’s 2007 Elections in which many people perished and power-sharing become the practice of governance.

For some Kenyans however, their democracy has become ‘a tyranny of numbers’ as was posited by a colleague journalist and I heard American civil rights activist, Rev. Jesse Jackson on Kenyan TV emphasizing that “democracy does not guarantee success but opportunities”. I really had no time to put these statements to test…

Not much to expect as I went about town engaging the mood of the people in the President’s first week in office… the city centre of Nairobi has been its usual self – hustling and bustling with heavy vehicular traffic. Very good posture for productivity – no more politics, elections are over, time to get to work!

Amidst the peace of heart of the everyday Kenyan, I had the thoughts of my beloved country at heart.

In 2009, when I first arrived in this country, Ghana was a BIG name! The pride of being a Ghanaian was lived and I was celebrated everywhere I stepped my foot – all because my country had become a beacon of hope for Africa politics, especially after the 2008 polls.

But soon the stables have turned; long before I set forth on my journey, the Kenyan judicial experience was on the lips of all in Ghana. The question has been….how were they able to deal with the election petition within two weeks?

“The greatest criticism about Ghana was the fact that the Supreme Court didn't have a time limit to make a judgment of the Presidential petition…In as far as we look up to Ghana as a role model, I think this was one area that people faulted the Ghanaian system”, a colleague journalist told me as I swallowed the criticism bitterly.

With the Ghanaian 2012 Election petition still swimming in the Supreme Court, I can only watch from afar, thanks to yet another Kenyan example for live telecast of proceedings.

Now, as I went about town enjoying the scenery of Nairobi, I was attracted to the giant statute of Jomo Kenyatta at the Kenya International Conference Centre (KICC)… just beside this statue sits the Supreme Court of Kenya, where the infamous election verdict was declared!

I looked deep into the eyes of Jomo and he seemed to be telling me ‘the judges have done a good job for my boy Uhuru to taste the throne and I’m happy that the woman I love has lived to serve as mother and wife to two presidents’. I simply love Africa, I told him!

The job of the journalist demands that you continuously broaden your horizon and the Kenya School of Monetary Studies (KSMS) provided a great atmosphere for learning and recreation. Thanks to TrustMedia facilitators, Matt and Corinne for tolerating 12 African journalists in shooting videos, editing and presenting multimedia reports.

My last night at the Nairobi Safari Club Hotel was yummy with the experience of tasting camel and crocodile amidst good drink, music and amazing cultural performance by the Safari Cats.

Indeed life can be tasty but risky! But should we fear to take risk, especially in experimenting with the unknown? My mind wondered as I zoomed back to my motherland…

Thoughts of Kofi Adu Domfeh

No comments:

Translate

Popular Posts